Tuesday, April 13, 2010

home-made Chinese dinner

I dedicate this post escpecially to my friend, Edo Leonardo. He was curious about my Easter dinner, so I told him that I only prepared some simple food. Regardless, he said, he wants me to cook it for him because he's really hungry. But, since he's so far away in Indonesia, he's going to have to make do with some pictures and a blog post instead of real cooked food. So here it is, especially for Edo.

Steamed halibut with julienned ginger and green onions

Okay, I cheated. I didn't steam it the traditional way. I simply wrapped the fish around some aluminum foil (which protect the fish from direct heat) and heated the fish in the oven. And you know what, there's no big difference, the fish was still juicy and mild. Together with Cantonese sauce of ginger, green onions and soy sauce, this dish is simply irresistible. On a side note, this dish was inspired by Jamie Oliver. He cooked one dish (which name I forgot) with a similar method, but he used different herbs.
steamed halibut


Braised pan-fried tofu with ginger and fresh garlic
Ok, please don't judge this dish from its picture. I know that it doesn't look appetizing, but trust me, the combination of tofu, ginger and garlic is a match made in heaven. I pan-fried the tofu first to give some crisp to the tofu skin. Then, I braised the tofu together with ginger, garlic and chicken stock, this is when the soft tofu absorbed all the goodnes. So you get a combination of crunchiness and the taste of spices.

pan fried tofu with ginger and fresh ginger



Egg flower soup with tomatoes and seaweed
Every house wife has their own combination for the egg flower soup with tomates. I like to mix in seaweed to give a taste of sea to the soup. So you don't only taste the boring sour taste of the tomatoes but there's also a combination of seaweed's umami.
egg drop tomato sea weed soup


Stir fried baby Cai Xin
What should I say to this dish. It's just a plain greens stir fried with garlic and salt
stir fried baby cai xin

Dinner for two, as I said, it was a simple home-made Chinese dinner, no fuss and all these four dishes was made in 30 minutes.

dinner for two

No comments:

Post a Comment